There have been questions and concerns regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease 2019 or 2019 Novel Coronavirus), more commonly referred to as the coronavirus. The health and safety of our students, families, and staff is our top priority. We want to assure you our school and Board of Trustees continues to work closely with local and federal health officials to monitor the developing situation surrounding COVID-19.
We have wall-mounted soap dispensers in all restrooms and by all sinks. Our staff routinely wipes all surfaces such as tables, chairs, door handles, etc. with a certified green and hospital grade product that kills dangerous bacteria and viruses. We strongly encourage all our students to bring their own water bottle for drinking. In addition, our professional cleaners will continue to disinfect our buildings with hospital-grade products that help offset the spread of communicable illnesses. As an extra precaution, we recently added a further step to our sanitation process by including a “fogger” product to be used in the classrooms.
Please know, we have plans and measures in place for communicable disease outbreaks and communicating that information to you. Making sure that you are signed up for both our Remind App and Constant Contact email is the first step in staying informed. Our Board of Trustees will make further recommendations and decisions as any situations develop.
Our teachers are prioritizing handwashing for our students. They are also reinforcing good hygiene practices including reminding students to not touch their face, nose, or mouth, and to sneeze and couch into their elbow.
We will continue to follow the guidance of the Centers for Disease and Prevention Control (CDC) and public health officials. If at any time, you are concerned for your child, please keep them at home. Updated information from the CDC on coronavirus in the United States can be found at:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html The most recent information about coronavirus in Texas may be found at: https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/.
As a reminder the CDC recommends we all take the same steps to protect against coronavirus as we take to prevent the spread of everyday illnesses like the common cold or the flu:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Keep your children home when they are sick and remember that they may not return to school until they are symptom and fever free without medication for 24 hours. Symptoms include:
- Fever of 100 degrees or higher within the past 24 hours
- Vomiting (no matter the cause)
- Diarrhea (2 or more episodes in an hour)
- Swollen glands
- Green discharge from nose or eyes
- Rash (need a doctor’s note to return to school to indicate that the rash has been identified)
- Nits/lice found in hair
- Cover your mouth and nose with the inside of your elbow when you cough or sneeze.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
The 2019 novel coronavirus is believed to be spread through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes, much in the way the flu and other respiratory viruses are spread. Symptoms can be fever, cough, or difficulty breathing.
While a new type of illness can be scary, we can protect our students, staff, families, and the broader local community by using simple everyday actions that protect people from other types of respiratory viruses. We are committed to ensuring the safety and sanitation of our campus.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the office.
Head of School